Sometimes our clients are looking for something a little different from the conventional binding methods such as perfect binding or saddle stitching. This was certainly the case when Cambridge Weight Plan approached us to create an eye-catching ‘coffee table’ style book for their consultants as part of their brand refresh.
We felt the new look and refreshed offering should be reflected with a premium and high-quality finish which is why we suggested Lay Flat for this project. The results were a bold and stylish product which highlights Cambridge Weight Plan’s ongoing commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of its customers.
So, what is Lay Flat?
- Lay Flat is a high-end alternative to standard binding methods.
- With Lay Flat you are able to design across a double-page spread without losing any of the content in the fold of the book.
- They are bound in a unique way which allows the left and right-hand pages to flow smoothly together.
- Wherever an image is placed across the centre of the book this can be printed without being cut off.
How Does it Work?
- The reverse of each printed sheet is glued to the next to create a series of folded sheets until the book is covered.
- This can then be finished either as a hardback or a paperback and however the book is opened this will lay completely flat.
- Lay Flat is particularly popular for image heavy or photographic books as it can show off the images to their fullest without interruption.
- The maximum page size for a Lay Flat book is 430x300mm.
While Lay Flat is a little more costly and time consuming than other methods of binding we hope you’ll agree that it offers an impactful and luxurious finish that will wow your customers or prospects.